We can generally accommodate all kinds of text customization requests, from minor to completely custom. The following charges will apply:
• Minor changes to English-only text - $30 (If the change is REALLY minor we may not charge you at all!)
• Minor changes to Hebrew and English texts - $50
• Custom English-only text - $50** (English-only, alone or paired with one of our Hebrew or Aramaic texts.)
• Custom English and custom Hebrew text - $100** (English is translated into Hebrew by us.)
* MP Artworks reserves the right to refuse submitted custom texts and text revisions at any time and in its sole discretion.
It is more efficient for us -- in other words, it is less expensive for you -- to translate your custom text into Hebrew ourselves, so this service is included in the customization charge for a custom English and Hebrew text. If you prefer to send us your own translation, we may be able to refund a portion of your customization fee. Please call us to discuss the specifications further.
** These custom texts must be purchased with personalization (+$69).
NOTE: You may have seen a text on another site that you would like to use on your ketubah, but please keep in mind that text is probably copyrighted by another artist. You will have to ask for permission from that artist to use his or her text. Some artists will give permission, some will not, and some will request a licensing fee. We will not use another artist's text without his or her explicit, written permission.
Standard signature lines for most ketubot are "Bride," "Groom," "Witness," "Witness," and "Rabbi." In Orthodox and Conservative texts there are also signature lines in Hebrew for two witnesses. Other exceptions include texts for commitment ceremonies, which have signature lines for either two brides or two grooms; texts for secular humanistic Jews, which have unmarked signature lines for the bride and groom; secular nonreligious texts, which have no line for a wedding officiant; and the anniversary text, which has no signature lines.
We can customize your signature lines to reflect who will be conducting your ceremony. Choices include "rabbi," "officiant," "cantor" or "other," a designation that allows you to provide us with the individual's appropriate title. You may also choose to have more than one officiant, such as a rabbi and a cantor.
You may also wish to add to the standard number of witness signature lines that are on the ketubah. It is not uncommon to have 3 or 4 witnesses sign your ketubah. We have added as many as 115 signature lines to a ketubah before (not available on ketubah 4less designs). If you are getting an Orthodox or Conservative text, check with your rabbi before altering the number of signature lines in Hebrew. Since Jewish Law requires two Jewish males that have been bar mitzvahed to sign in Hebrew to make the ketubah a valid contract, most rabbis do not like altering the number of witness lines in Hebrew.
You may alter or add other signature lines, such as adding signature lines to an anniversary text or using "Partner" and "Partner" for a commitment text.
There is no charge for signature line customization unless we have to alter a design to add an inordinate amount of witness lines. The price for this will have to be quoted based on the design chosen.
You have the option to add, delete or alter the poetic phrase associated with your ketubah.
Phrases may be added or changed to the following options:
• Now you will feel no rain for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold for each of you will be warmth for the other. Now there is no loneliness. Now you are two persons but there is only one life before you. May your days together be good and long upon the earth. * (Apache Wedding Blessing)
• Arise, my love, my fair one
• From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to Heaven. When two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together and a single, brighter light goes forth from their united being. * (Baal Shem Tov)
• I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine
• I have found the one in whom my soul delights
• Many waters cannot quench love
• This is my beloved, this is my friend
• Where you will go, I shall go
• You and I in joy and happiness without end
• You have created joy and gladness, bridegroom and bride, mirth and exaltation, pleasure and delight, love and harmony, peace and companionship. *
• Custom (write your own phrase)
* This phrase may be too long to fit on some designs.
We are able to offer you the chance to change the colors of any ketubah in our Ketubah Studio and ketubah 4less* lines. The price is $150. We will e-mail you an image file of the ketubah with the new colors for your approval.
If you would like to customize the design, let us know what you would like, and we will give you a firm estimate. Some couples choose to add or remove a quotation or other design element, or you may wish to have a completely custom ketubah designed for you. We will be able to work with you on almost all custom design projects. Simply e-mail us with what you want, and we will give you a quote.
Want to create your own design? Have an artistic friend who wants to create the design for you? Don't have the ability to handle the calligraphy for the ketubah text or just don't want to go through the hassle of writing out an entire text in Hebrew and English? We have created a text-only ketubah for you.
The ketubah text is printed with archival, pigmented black ink that will resist fading for decades. The paper is Arches Smooth 230 GSM 100% cotton, a favorite brand among fine artists. We have tested the paper with watercolors and acrylic paints, and it works well with almost any dry medium.
The ketubah's size is 18" x 24," and the text area is 7" x 12 1/4," centered on the paper. Other sizes, configurations and text colors can be accommodated but will incur additional customization charges.